Re: [gtk-list] Re: Proposed widget

On 24 May 1998, Sascha Ziemann wrote:

> AmigaOS is silly gambler garbage. It does have at least any memory
> protection and I can continue the list of not existing features... But
> I really do not want to hurt your nostalgic reminders, so we should
> not continue the discussion about the Amiga. Every normal PC has 32 MB

Actually, I beg to differ.  You brought it up on this list, I think you
should explain your reasoning here.  Why is AmigaOS, oft considered the
most efficient OS in existance today, "silly gambler garbage" to you?

I think what we have here is a fundamental rift in how one thinks of
building software.  AmigaOS tries very hard to include only the things
absolutely necessary to successfully run the computer.  It's the
RISC-point of view: simpler is better.  UNIX of any sort, Windows, OS/2,
et. al. tries, however, to be all-inclusive of all applications for all
users.  It tries to be as COMPLETE as possible: the CISC point of view.
Then people wonder why AmigaOS runs so much faster than other
"heavy-weight" operating systems, then they get jealous and start touting,
"But it doesn't have memory protection!"  TOO BAD!  It doesn't NEED it!

Therefore, I ask that you have a little more open mind about AmigaOS, and
how its internals work.  They are porting AmigaOS to the x86 as we speak,
and when released, I can garuntee you that it *WILL* make a big splash.

> RAM today. Is it really not acceptable to spend 10% for a full featured
> widget set?

Yes.  It is truely unacceptable for me.  I want my RAM and drive space for
*MY* application's data.  Not a tool.  Would you want to work on your own
car if the tool you need is the size of your car itself, and just as
heavy?

PS:  AmigaOS is still perfectly happy on a 20MB harddrive.  If you intend
on running a world-class application like VideoToaster or some of the
Amiga office suites, then you're probably looking at needing around 100MB.
Need Internet?  Another 5MB.  Linux, in contrast, requires 200MB for a
comparibly equipped system.  Still not bad, but I thought I'd put it into
perspective.

      KC5TJA/6     |                  -| TEAM DOLPHIN |-
        DM13       |                  Samuel A. Falvo II
    QRP-L #1447    |          http://www.dolphin.openprojects.net