Re: [gtk-list] New widget ideas ...

Mike Flouris wrote:
>1. A 3D-Canvas widget. Something to draw 3D graphics
>just by setting some 3D coordinates. This quite difficult
>to implement but this is just an idea ...
>I believe that we will have a 2-D canvas widget soon ...
How about a set of classes representing 3D primitives with methods to
map the 3D scene to a 2D plane (which would be a common 2D canvas for
polygon-based output)? How to manipulate these objects is harder to
solve, but that would be easy to extend (on the 3D side), and possibly
removes the need to create new widgets.
I find this quite interesting. I have written some Lisp 3D-primitive
classes that write themselves to POV files and I was looking for a way
to show/manipulate them on screen. I don't need OpenGL (yet). I guess I
need some kind of 'server' canvas process the Lisp interpreter can
connect to via sockets... And I didn't want to write it in Java.
>5.An image background (not only color) could be added to
>every widget if one would like to use it ...
This is already done with rc files. Try bg_pixmap. Well chosen
background images give fantastic results.
-Daniel