Re: [gtk-list] Re: Proposed widget

> Gtk+ should have as much widgets as posible, if they are bug free. On
> my system libgtk.so is 989012 Bytes. Where is the problem, when it is
> twice as big?

AmigaOS 3.1 is less than 512K in size (GTK+ seems to be almost a
megabyte), and includes a complete multitasking, near-real-time OS for
free.  It includes audio drivers, serial port drivers, and bi-directional
parallel port drivers.  It has a world-class user interface as well.  It
can do everything GTK can, and then some, and without the bugs.

I think what he was seeing at this point was that GTK is starting to
suffer from "featuritis."  GTK, alone, is larger than an already too-big
operating system (I'm striving to make an Amiga-like OS in under 64K; and
I know it's already been done before.  Witness QNX and Photon microGUI).

To be honest, your GTK library alone is larger than my entire Linux
kernel, which is also fairly close to 512K (it's around 580K to be exact).

If GTK is to gather all the widgets in the known world, then at least
allow for the ability to use dynamic libraries of widgets; we really
should not use static linking for them.  If I don't want a table widget,
why should I have it linked into my executable?  On my 2GB Linux
partition, I only have 56MB free.  At this point, I must start to worry
about code size.

Don't let the Microsoft way of thinking lure you into this trap: Small
code is usually just as fast and just as powerful as BIG code if done
well.

      KC5TJA/6     |                  -| TEAM DOLPHIN |-
        DM13       |                  Samuel A. Falvo II
    QRP-L #1447    |          http://www.dolphin.openprojects.net