Re: form widget?

Sascha Ziemann <szi@aibon.ping.de> writes:

> Owen Taylor <otaylor@gtk.org> writes:
>
> | Shawn Amundson has been working on Tk-style packer widget. While
> | someone different in detail, it should be at least as powerful
> | as the Motif form widget. (And a lot easier to use. Tk's geometry
> | management has a considerably better reputation than Motif's)
> |
> | On other hand - I've also never anything I couldn't do with
> | GTK's standard Tables, Alignments and Boxes.
>
> Sometimes it it usefull to have a multicolumn or multirow feature like
> in LaTeX. This is not possible with Gtk+.

GTK's table does support column-spanning, and row-spanning.
(multirow, as far as I know, doesn't actually exist in LaTeX...)

When calling gtk_table_attach:

void       gtk_table_attach           (GtkTable      *table,
				       GtkWidget     *child,
				       gint           left_attach,
				       gint           right_attach,
				       gint           top_attach,
				       gint           bottom_attach,
				       gint           xoptions,
				       gint           yoptions,
				       gint           xpadding,
				       gint           ypadding);

There is no requirement that right_attach = left_attach + 1, etc.

> For example you have a big image and a vbox next to it with some
> rows. It is not possible to put such objects in a hbox and have the
> rows aligned as if the image would not be there.

I can't quite envision this. Do you mean:

XXXXXXX yyyyyy
XXXXXXX yyyyyy
XXXXXXX yyyyyy
XXXXXXX yyyyyy
yyyyyyyyyyyyyy
yyyyyyyyyyyyyy

That is possible with the table, unless you want GTK to decide
how many 'yyyyy' widgets go next to the image, and how many
are full width. But I don't think the latter would be possible
with Motif's form widget either, as I understand it.

Regards,
                                        Owen