Re: [gtk-list] Re: 'Raising' windows

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> In a previous message, Nimrod Zimerman says:
> > Is there a way I could tell a window to raise itself above all other windows
> > currently covering it?
>
>   XRaiseWindow(gdk_display,
>          GDK_WINDOW_XWINDOW(gtkwidget->window));

ughh, usually you shouldn't be in the need to use *any* XLib call
when programming for gtk/gdk. and if you really lack some kind of
functionality this mostly indicates
- you've overlooked something, better look again, or ask on gtk-list ;)
- gdk is actually lacking functionality and a gdk-counterpart for an XLib
  function has yet to be provided.

> This is an Xlib call, but since you have to link against Xlib anyway I'm
> not sure why it would be a bad thing to do.  I'm not aware of any glib/gdk
> calls for doing it, but there may be one.

well in this specific case - as owen already pointed out -, you'd just
want to use
if (GTK_WIDGET_REALIZED (widget))
  gdk_window_raise (widget->window);

---