Re: [gtk-list] Re: Windows NT port of GTK+

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, fractture wrote:

> > Porting glib was an evening's work.  Porting gdk looks like it will
> > require a from-scratch rewrite.  Once that is done, most of gtk can be
> > used without changes.  One question though: port to mingw32 or Visual
> > C++?  The former is in the spirit of the of the GTK+ community, and
> > would let anyone develop without invensting in VC++.  On the other
> > hand, VC++ is a much nicer development environment.  (One could get it
> > to build under either, but that is a bit more work).
>
> I definately think if your going to port GTK+ it needs to be to a Gnuized
> library environment+compiler like djgpp or gnu-win32!!  We want to make
> porting easier, not do advertizing for some MS product.  I am all for it as
> long as it doesn't rely on comercial products, especially MS's stuff.  If
> someone wants to make VC++ development easier, that could be done later,...but
> the first port should absolutely be to a free environment.

what if someone came out and said "it would take me one month to make it
work under VC++ 5.0, but three months under all those free compilers".
this may not be the case, but i think the #1 priority is having it *work*,
and then worry about Free Software Pride.
|        / |/ /_ __/ /_____         |       Nuke Skyjumper               |
|       /    / // /  '_/ -_)        |         "Master of the Farce"      |