Re: [gtk-list] Re: New system for getting information about GTK

Hari> Your suggestion also has precedent.  Older versions of libg++
Hari> used to install their headers into

Hari> 	$exec_prefix/lib/g++-include

I wouldn't go too much by that.

Cygnus packages tend to trail the GNU Coding Standards by quite a bit.
Those files probably ended up in there simply because nobody bothered
to move them from lib to share.

Hari> You can argue both ways.  For example, if you look at the
Hari> `glibc' sources, you'll find many headers in the main dirs, and
Hari> system specific headers in sysdeps/.

glibc isn't a great example for this sort of thing, because its goal
is to be the installed libc on a system.  These files are allowed to
be system-dependent and unsharable, typically.

The GNU stds put includedir under $(prefix), meaning that the contents
should be shared across architectures.  I believe the reason for this
is that most programs that install headers install system-independent
headers (though I admit I haven't checked that my assertion is the
case).

Hari> Look at the gdk/gtk headers: they're identical on all systems.
Hari> Why not share them?  Capture all system-dependencies into one
Hari> header (glibconfig.h) and share the rest.

I completely agree with this sentiment.

Tom