Re: [gtk-list] Re: New system for getting information about GTK

Owen Taylor <owt1@cornell.edu> writes:
> Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:
> > I think now is a good time to fix the problems with `glib' too.  As a
> > first step, I would suggest installing glibconfig.h into
> >
> > 	toolincludedir=$exec_prefix/$target_alias/include
>
> I've read your previous mails - but one thing I don't quite understand
> is why $target_alias is in here. If $exec_prefix is architecture
> dependent, then why is this necessary?
[...]
> The other problem is that there simply isn't a standard for the
> location of such files (as far as I know). With that in mind,
> I'd almost rather have the include file in some place easily
> connected to GTK, such as:
>
>   $exec_prefix/lib/gtk/include

I see no problem with this either.  The only reason I suggest
toolincludedir is that GNU libio uses it to for its _G_config.h on
non-glibc systems.  GCC also installs <assert.h> there (and
interestingly, only that file.  For its other headers, it uses
$exec_prefix/lib/gcc-lib/$target_alias/$gcc_version/include).
_G_config.h serves a similar purpose that glibconfig.h serves.

Your suggestion also has precedent.  Older versions of libg++ used to
install their headers into

	$exec_prefix/lib/g++-include

> (A fairly good case could be made that includedir is architecture
> specific in any case; for instance, that's how the Linux FSS specifies
> it (which has been renamed to be non-Linux specifc now), and I think
> quite a few packages install that way. But with gtk-config, it is easy
> provide an alternative.)

You can argue both ways.  For example, if you look at the `glibc'
sources, you'll find many headers in the main dirs, and system specific
headers in sysdeps/.  Barring the headers in sysdeps/, the other headers
could be shared between architectures (But, `glibc' puts all its headers
under $includedir.  That still doesn't invalidate my point, I guess).
Look at the gdk/gtk headers: they're identical on all systems.  Why not
share them?  Capture all system-dependencies into one header
(glibconfig.h) and share the rest.

- Hari