Re: [gtk-list] Re: New system for getting information about GTK

>> toolincludedir=$exec_prefix/$target_alias/include

Owen> I've read your previous mails - but one thing I don't quite
Owen> understand is why $target_alias is in here. If $exec_prefix is
Owen> architecture dependent, then why is this necessary?

I agree, it isn't necessary.  In fact, I think it is bad.  I think You
want all the headers to end up in the same place when
prefix==exec_prefix.

Owen> The only reason I can see for its presence here is to support
Owen> people who are building with $exec_prefix == $prefix, but a
Owen> separate $bindir.

I think people shouldn't do that.

Generally speaking I think configure gives the user way too much
control.  Specifying more than prefix+exec-prefix is likely to result
in packages that don't work... at least, I don't know anybody who sets
all the --*dir options when testing their packages.

(The reason I think the control itself is bad is that it is in
conflict with having location-independent programs.  I prefer location
independence over the ability to specify where every file goes.)

Owen> The other problem is that there simply isn't a standard for the
Owen> location of such files (as far as I know). With that in mind,
Owen> I'd almost rather have the include file in some place easily
Owen> connected to GTK, such as:

Owen>   $exec_prefix/lib/gtk/include

AKA $(pkglibdir)/include.  Sounds good to me.

Tom