need help...

Hello...
I just installed GTK 1.0.3 on a Redhat 5.0 system, and anytime I try to
compile code using the libraries (ie. the examples or simple stuff - I'm
brand new to GTK except for having an old version before to run Gimp) I
get the following error:

./<filename>: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libgtk.so.1: undefined symbol: g_strcasecmp

where <filename> is the name of the file I'm compiling.
/usr/lib/libgtk.so.1 has been linked to the new libgtk.so.1.0.3  Has
anyone run into this problem before or have a solution?

Thanks!
Mike Fox