Sound with GTK

Hi,

I'm currently writing a program to play samples with real-time adjustable
rate.  At the moment, I'm forking a child to actually send the sample to
/dev/audio, and the parent changes the pitch with IOCTL on the same
file descriptor and does various other things.

I'm not too happy with this approach, as I'd like to be able to set
cue-points on teh same and various other things that would require
communication with the child playing the sample.  I tried using
the timeout functions, but they made the whole app very jerky.

I also have the problem that GDK gives me "an X io error occured" error,
due to me closing the connection to X.

Anyone got any ideas about a better implementation?

Cheers,
Pete

--
Pete Hollobon - ph116@york.ac.uk