Re: [gtk-list] Re: Excuse me for mentioning the unmentionable, but...

The Windows API discussion:
>> > Windoze isn't a proper multi-tasking environment. Or at least, W3.11
>> > wasn't. I doubt W95 is any better.

>I am *not* an Windoze expert in any way, but I am pretty certain that
>this is much improved in Win95, and I would be amazed if NT did
>anything like that.

Yes, it is much improved, it is a true pre-emptive thread model. That
said, I myself still find Win 95 a shaky platform. You can't say the
same thing of NT though, I've had good experience with NT servers
and workstations for stability. And the threading is certainly posix
compliant and up to date.

>> I personally find the message handling in Windows (even 95) rather
>> crude.  I much like the use of callbacks, like in the GTK.
>
>I surely don't want to get a reputation for being a backer of Windows
>(I am not, honestly), but you cannot compare the Win32 API to GTK
>(comparing apples and pear cider). It is more appropriate to compare
>raw Xlib to Win32 (apples to pears).

I don't quite understand the statement myself, both APIs employ callbacks
where appropriate. GTK uses messages as well...

>> > possibly if GTK were to concentrate only on supporting 32-bit
>> > programming, some of that might go away.
>
>Of course. Surely nobody in their right mind wants to have anything to
>do with 16-bit far/near etc crap any longer.

I must admit I haven't spent time with the docs, but what 16-bit environments
does gtk support?

-Tim