Re: [gtk-list] Re: Frustrated...

Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Jason A. Pfeil wrote:
>
> > Is there an rpm mailing list that anyone knows about?  There's an annoying
> > lack of a feature that I want to know if anyone knows how to do.  Here it
> > is:  I want to upgrade a package IF AND ONLY IF it is already installed.
> > don't want it installed if it isn't already installed.  This way I can
> > simply download all the updates to RH and only install the updates to the
> > packages I have installed.  I can't find a way to do this, so if anyone
> > can point me to a list or help me out here, I'd be very grateful...I could
> > even stand it if there were a way to ask rpm if a package was installed
> > and that's it...then I could write a perl script to do what I want.
> There is a way to ask: rpm -q
>
> Actually, what I would do, would be probably something like this:
>
> cd download-dir
> for i in `rpm -qa` ; do mv $i* ../upgrade-dir ; done
> cd ../upgrade-dir
> rpm -Uvh *
>
> Possible problems:
> rpm -qa is perhaps to long for the shell.
> rpms sometime replace rpms with different names.
>
> Andreas

On my debian 2.0 I have a program apt-get which can do this, beside
others.
I give it the ftp, http or directory where to look for packages. Then I
give:

apt-get update

to get the info about the available packages. Then

apt-get upgrade

or

apt-get dist-upgrade

to upgrade (download if necessary, also)  ONLY the installed packages.

Works only with Debian .deb files (on Debian), I think, not with RH .rpm
:).

Ionutz