Re: [gtk-list] Frustrated...

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Jason A. Pfeil wrote:

> Is there an rpm mailing list that anyone knows about?  There's an annoying
> lack of a feature that I want to know if anyone knows how to do.  Here it
> is:  I want to upgrade a package IF AND ONLY IF it is already installed.
> don't want it installed if it isn't already installed.  This way I can
> simply download all the updates to RH and only install the updates to the
> packages I have installed.  I can't find a way to do this, so if anyone
> can point me to a list or help me out here, I'd be very grateful...I could
> even stand it if there were a way to ask rpm if a package was installed
> and that's it...then I could write a perl script to do what I want.
There is a way to ask: rpm -q

Actually, what I would do, would be probably something like this:

cd download-dir
for i in `rpm -qa` ; do mv $i* ../upgrade-dir ; done
cd ../upgrade-dir
rpm -Uvh *

Possible problems:
rpm -qa is perhaps to long for the shell.
rpms sometime replace rpms with different names.

Andreas