Re: GTK--: hello.cc questions

Tero Pulkkinen <terop@students.cc.tut.fi> writes:

> > This function is never called ! Why and how do I make it be called ?
> > (this can be checked by changing it in:
> >
> >   gint destroy_event_impl(GdkEventAny *){
> >     g_print( "destroy event occured\n");
> >     Gtk_Main::instance()->quit();
> >     return 0;
> >   }
> >
> > The message "destroy event occured\n" is never printed.)
>
> I dont really know the original purpose of destroy_event, but
> using delete_event_impl seems to work right.

There is no "destroy_event".

There is:

  "delete_event" - The window manager asked the application to
                   close the window.

  "destroy"      - The widget was destroyed, probably either because
                   GTK+ closed the toplevel at the request
                   of the WM, or because the application
                   called gtk_widget_destroy() explicitly.

"destroy" is not an event.

Note that the widget's memory will not be freed, even if it
is destroyed(), until it's refcount drops to zero.

See docs/refcounting.txt for more information about destruction,
finalization and all that. (Or dig up some of my old emails
about how gtk-- "should" be doing things, though it's probably
a bit late for that.) Actually, maybe you are just saying
that you don't know of a "destroy_event" - yes, there isn't
any.

Regards,
                                        Owen