Re: [gtk-list] Re: KDE Gnome Qt gtk--

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Dean Olson wrote:

> Also, since GTK allows coders to develop their own custom widgets, there
> is obviously a very strong argument for sticking with a less proprietary
> development library.

>From what I've seen (and done, but not in great detail), creating custom
widgets, particularly subclassing existing widgets, is easier with Qt,
because of c++ and inheritance, rather than trying to fake object oriented
programming in c. (but, there's always gtk--, which I haven't been keeping
up with, though I should).

> By the way, I have not taken a hard look at QT.  I am going by the
> discussions that have taken place on various mailing lists, so if i have
> erred in my assumptions, feel free to correct me with extreme prejudice.
> ;)

No extreme prejudice from me. I like both kits, and still haven't decided
which one I'm going to immerse myself in.  My biggest Qt gripe is that to
me at least, gtk's vbox/hbox geometry management are easier to use and
more functional than Qt's.