Re: [gtk-list] KDE Gnome Qt gtk--

I feel that I must point out that one of the most important differences
between KDE and Gnome is that of programming preferences.  GTK is
primarily C oriented while, my understanding is, KDE is heavily C++ based.
There is a slight difference of opinion when it comes to what kind of
language people are comfortable programming applications with.  This is
not to say that C++ or QT don't have their place, but obviously a lot of C
programmers have a strong preference for C and want to stay close to it.
Also, since GTK allows coders to develop their own custom widgets, there
is obviously a very strong argument for sticking with a less proprietary
development library.

If Gnome and KDE can agree upon certain conventions for easing the
transitions from one toolkit to the other, then I believe that both
projects can benefit from their respective separate development paths.
There might be some duplication of effort, but at the same time, parallel
efforts often yield surprisingly different results.  I don't think that
mere duplication of some applications is any reason not to explore
different ways of developing these applications. Because of this, I don't
think that Gnome would benefit from trying to emulate QT.

As for KDE becoming the premiere desktop for linux, I think that Gnome is
gaining a tremendous amount of momentum and has the potential to far
surpass other desktop projects because of the nature of its
development model, right down to the toolkit.
(bazaar) --see http://www.ccil.org/~esr/writings/cathedral.html for more
information about the bazaar model of software development.

I understand your feelings about KDE and Gnome, but there seems to be more
to consider than just whether or not the apps get made.  Personally, I
prefer C, but my supervisor prefers C++.  Who's right?  Well, we have
never had reason to question each other's preferences.  Suffice it to say
that we simply think in different ways. But that often leads to more
variety.

By the way, I have not taken a hard look at QT.  I am going by the
discussions that have taken place on various mailing lists, so if i have
erred in my assumptions, feel free to correct me with extreme prejudice.
;)

This ramble brought to you by
Dean Olson <bluesect>