Re: [gtk-list] Re: Widgets w/o borders & shadows?

On 25 Feb, Shawn T. Amundson shouted:
->  On Wed, 25 Feb 1998 raster@redhat.com wrote:
->
->  > ->  Ok, here is my bit about borders, for GTK 2.0.  I think this fits
->  > ->  in with theme stuff as well.  Basically, we would have something like:
->  > ->
->  > ->  gtk_widget_set_border_shadow(widget, GTK_SHADOW_NONE);
->  > ->  gtk_widget_set_border_shadow(widget, GTK_SHADOW_IN);
->  > ->
->  > ->  This actually would make implementing the code to draw a button
->  > ->  even more trivial than it is now, because it is pushed off into
->  > ->  some more generalized widget drawing code.  (Note this is already
->  > ->  done somewhat by the seperation of the shadow drawing from the
->  > ->  widget, but this extends that a bit to allow changing the border
->  > ->  shadow at run time on any widget.)
->  > ->
->  > ->  Perhaps Raster would have some insight into this since he has
->  > ->  been looking at theming the button?
->  >
->  > Um.. ooh.. I had all my buttons borderless earlier today... :) It's now
->  > a shared library for drawing buttons rather than in gtk itself. Now I
->  > know at some point I need to allow programmers to attach "HINTS" to
->  > buttons - like Window Manager hints, so the theme can honor them - If I
->  > hang a theme data pointer off the widget structures, i can add a
->  > section for attaching hints. the theme, like a WM, may or may not honor
->  > theme - a well written theme will. Actually the mroe I think about
->  > this.. I liek the idea of Hints... :)
->
->  Was the borderless effect on purpose or on accident? ;-)

accident.. ripping code out... :)

->  I kind of threw that all into one big lump this morning.  What I mean
->  is not the part about themes being able to change all the border looks.
->  (That part is obviously part of the theme stuff.)  Rather, I mean
->  giving all widgets a border which can be configured via the above
->  _set_border_shadow() command.  If it is required to break up the widget
->  into 9 pieces just to show the border and center (as per some previous
->  discussion), then it would seem trivial to break it up so that it is
->  trivial to configure this for each individual instance of a widget.

I can do this no porblems.. But I think more hints wil be neede.d. for
one I have foudn tht setting the border between the button edge and its
child "lable" or widget is rather kludgy - I may have to change this
and make it more explicit for themes....

->  Can't wait to see this proof-of-concept example. ;-)

When I get something more than a quick hack that just barely works going
I'll stat puitng things in CVS for evaluation to make sure I'm not
heading up the wrong creek with too few paddles. :) Of course it comes
with the traditional raster touch of having COMPILE scripts for
things...:) :) :) (well it only takes 5 seconds to brew those up) :)

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
raster@rasterman.com       /\___ /\ ___/||\___ ____/|/\___  raster@redhat.com