Re: [gtk-list] Re: Widgets w/o borders & shadows?

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 raster@redhat.com wrote:

> ->  Was the borderless effect on purpose or on accident? ;-)
>
> accident.. ripping code out... :)

;-)

> ->  I kind of threw that all into one big lump this morning.  What I mean
> ->  is not the part about themes being able to change all the border looks.
> ->  (That part is obviously part of the theme stuff.)  Rather, I mean
> ->  giving all widgets a border which can be configured via the above
> ->  _set_border_shadow() command.  If it is required to break up the widget
> ->  into 9 pieces just to show the border and center (as per some previous
> ->  discussion), then it would seem trivial to break it up so that it is
> ->  trivial to configure this for each individual instance of a widget.
>
> I can do this no porblems.. But I think more hints wil be neede.d. for
> one I have foudn tht setting the border between the button edge and its
> child "lable" or widget is rather kludgy - I may have to change this
> and make it more explicit for themes....

The main problem I can see with breaking it up like this for themes is
that some themes might want to have the button as one big scaled
pixmap.  (like if you are doing a oval button that is smoothly indented
from the outer edge to the center)  Is this why you think it is a
kludge?

> ->  Can't wait to see this proof-of-concept example. ;-)
>
> When I get something more than a quick hack that just barely works going
> I'll stat puitng things in CVS for evaluation to make sure I'm not
> heading up the wrong creek with too few paddles. :) Of course it comes
> with the traditional raster touch of having COMPILE scripts for
> things... :) :) :) (well it only takes 5 seconds to brew those up) :)

We might need some themeable distribution method.  Hmm...
% automake --theme=raster-traditional
% autoconf --theme=raster-traditional
% make dist-with-theme raster-traditional

I think we should leave that to the automake/autoconf maintainers. ;-)

--
Shawn T. Amundson		Complete Internet Solutions
Senior Systems Administrator	Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

while (i) { last }
    i, do exist.
    forever;