Re: Window Management with GDK/GTK ?

David Young <dyoung@pobox.com> writes:

> 	I'm going to write a window manager. I'd prefer using GDK/GTK to
> using Xlib. A few questions:
>
> 	1) Do present incarnations of GDK/GTK pass events pertaining to
> 	window reparenting, etc., that a window manager needs to handle?
> 	Or do I have to use Xlib for that purpose?
>
> 	2) If GDK/GTK don't handle those events, is it very straightforward
> 	to add those events? Where do I begin?

No, they don't include them. Begin with <gdk/gdkx.h> and
gdk_window_add_filter().  I don't think extending GDK/GTK+ to include
these events is consistent with keeping it either simple or
portable.

> 	3) The TexInfo GTK documentation appears to be pretty complete.
> 	However, none of the GDK documentation that I've seen is complete.
> 	Is anybody working on it? I'd like to contribute to the documentation
> 	as I figure things out from the source / header files.

You have a funny idea of "complete" with regards to the GTK Texinfo
docs ;-) The current plan is to do the reference documentation for GTK
and GDK using Damon Chaplin's DocBook scripts.  (See
http://glade.pn.org/glibdocs/ for what he did for GLib.) Hopefully
we'll get a more complete announcement of the plans for this out RSN.

BTW - I know there is at least one other project under way
to write a GTK+-based WM. I don't have a reference for that,
but perhaps somebody who does will pipe up. If you can
collaborate, please do. (There isn't exactly a shortage
of window managers available currently...)

Regards,
                                        Owen