Re: [gtk-list] Re: Removing old version of GTK

Ar Wed, Aug 19, 1998 at 12:28:37PM -0400, scriofa Brett Viren:
>  > 3) Then, if you want any other versions (like 1.1.1), stick them in a
>  >     different directory (/usr/gnome/lib/ in my case). Then, when you want
>  >     to build an app with these new ones, instead of the old ones, you can
>  >     just take /usr/gnome/bin to the front of the $PATH when it calls
>  >     gtk-config to find the location of the GTK libs.
> This is good advice, but I would say that you should install to
> 	/usr/local/gnome
> or even beter,
> 	/usr/local/lib/gnome

 Hmm. True. I think I did it, to 'conform' to Sun and HP that have a
/usr/openwin and /usr/dt for desktop environments, and /usr/local/gnome
looked a bit funny. But yeah, in general, I keep local for "Stuff to be
backed up", and /usr is "Stuff that can be reinstalled from CD".

>  >  If you are wondering how to get rid of the old versions, they always live
>  > in /usr or /usr/local unless you stuck them elsewhere yourself. So, if you
>  > installed them via source:
>  >  rm -rf /usr/include/gtk /usr/local/include/gtk
>  >  rm -rf /usr/include/gdk /usr/local/include/gdk
>  >  rm -rf /usr/include/glib /usr/local/include/glib
>  >  rm -rf /usr/lib/libgtk* /usr/local/lib/gtk*
>  >  rm -rf /usr/lib/libgdk* /usr/local/lib/gdk*
>  >  rm -rf /usr/lib/libglib* /usr/local/lib/glib*
> This should only be done if you did NOT use a package manager to
> install them in the first place.

 Well I'd recommend it even if you did use a package manager. Just in case
there are some stray files, or someone did an rpm --no-deps on some
package. I don't know about you, but my memory for this sort of things is
really bad.

 Happy hacking..

Kate

--
 "I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star.
    We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light."

John "Kate" Looney, Horizon Open Systems. Sun Microsystems distributor and
Support centre. Hotline: [+353 1 8055700] Web http://www.hos.horizon.ie/