Removing old version of GTK

I just grabbed GTK+ 1.0.5 so that I could install Gimp on my machine..
When I went to install Gimp, the configure saw I was running 1.05
(that's good), but it also found version 1.0.1 (that's bad).  I'm an
amateur user here, and could really use some help on how I go about
removing v1.0.1 of GTK.  Can anyone explain...I don't even know where to
start looking.

Thanks.
   ..jamie  (who's wondering how newbie-friendly this list is..)