Silly library problem

It's late.  Can someone tell me why I'm getting undefined symbol errors?

I just tried to upgrade from gtk+ 1.0.1 to 1.0.5.

Starting from a Redhat 5.1 install, I first pulled an rpm -e on both gtk
and gtk-devel.

Then I compiled and installed 1.0.5 using the ./configure defaults.

Then I edited /etc/ld.so.conf to include /usr/local/lib and ran ldconfig.

Next I recompiled my code, e.g. hello.c, with no problems.

Then I got an undefined symbol at run-time:

[gtk@zathras gtk]$ ./a.out
./a.out: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/local/lib/libgtk.so.1: undefined symbol: g_strdelimit
[gtk@zathras gtk]$

Thanks,
Kyle