Re: [gtk-list] Silly library problem

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, a bleary-eyed Kyle B Ferrio wrote:

> It's late.  Can someone tell me why I'm getting undefined symbol errors?
>
> I just tried to upgrade from gtk+ 1.0.1 to 1.0.5.
>
> Starting from a Redhat 5.1 install, I first pulled an rpm -e on both gtk
> and gtk-devel.
>
> Then I compiled and installed 1.0.5 using the ./configure defaults.
>
> Then I edited /etc/ld.so.conf to include /usr/local/lib and ran ldconfig.
>
> Next I recompiled my code, e.g. hello.c, with no problems.
>
> Then I got an undefined symbol at run-time:
>
> [gtk@zathras gtk]$ ./a.out
> ./a.out: error in loading shared libraries
> /usr/local/lib/libgtk.so.1: undefined symbol: g_strdelimit
> [gtk@zathras gtk]$
>
> Thanks,
> Kyle

OK, the problem was that there were still /usr/lib/libglib.* hanging
around.  Apparently, Redhat installs gtk/gdk together, but glib
separately.  Closer inspection of the error message (above) lead me to
think about glib rather than gtk as the "problem" lib.  Deleting the old
/usr/lib/libglib.* allowed the loader to find the new libs in
/usr/local/lib.

Maybe this will help another Redhatter upgrade.  Maybe the next rev of the
FAQ and ./configure scripts could mention this quirk, along with the
advice already in those places for Redhat.

Thanks,
Kyle