Re: [gtk-list] Re: Upgrading GTK+ on RedHat 5.0 machine

On Fri, Aug 07, 1998 at 03:04:53AM -0400, James Gardiner wrote:

> Hi!!!  I use RedHat 5.0 and I noticed the same problem when I upgraded my GTK+
> versions.  What I did was to take the source for control panel and compile it
> against a more recent version.  There was a problem with a tooltips method
> change, but it was an easy fix.  I haven't had any problems with control panel
> since...If you have problems with a future version of GTK+ I would suggest
> maybe recompiling and linking *statically* with the GTK+ libraries...this will
> freeze the version for control panel rather permanently.  :)

Or you could do:

./configure --enable-shared --prefix=/usr/local

so that it installs in /usr/local instead of /usr.  That way, the new
Gtk stuff won't interfere with the existing redhat stuff.  To use the
new version, simply do "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib"...

At least this seems to work for me.

Dave