Re: [gtk-list] Upgrading GTK+ on RedHat 5.0 machine

On Thu, Aug 06, 1998 at 11:09:53AM +0930, Ashton, Kristian wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has overcome the problem of upgrading
> GTK+ on a RedHat 5.0 machine without affecting apps such as control
> panel.
>
> Each time I have tried to upgrade to a version of GTK+ higher than 1.0.0
> on a RedHat 5.0 installation there are then problems with control panel
> (it just won't run).  I found out some info on this from the GIMP
> archives, but I haven't found a fix and I need to upgrade GTK+ now.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions...?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Hi!!!  I use RedHat 5.0 and I noticed the same problem when I upgraded my GTK+
versions.  What I did was to take the source for control panel and compile it
against a more recent version.  There was a problem with a tooltips method
change, but it was an easy fix.  I haven't had any problems with control panel
since...If you have problems with a future version of GTK+ I would suggest
maybe recompiling and linking *statically* with the GTK+ libraries...this will
freeze the version for control panel rather permanently.  :)

James Gardiner