Re: [gtk-list] Re: GNOME Database kit ODBC interface

On Fri, Aug 07, 1998 at 02:43:20AM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Ian McKellar wrote:
>
> > Having read the JDBC book and having spoken to people who've had to use it
> > it sounds pretty horrific.
>
> I don't do Java :) How does JDBC compare to ODBC?

I think the JDBC API is based on the ODBC API - to make ODBC programmers feel
at home (incidentally, its a lot like Perl DBI). The problem with ODBC is that
it has ugly C-isms like void * which they fixed by doing the Object Oriented
thing.

> > How about we rip off the API for JDBC, and implement it over CORBA. This
> > could work because:
> >   * the JDBC api is pretty good.
>
> I thought you said it was horrific...?

Oops - that wasn't clear - I meant:
Having read the JDBC book and having spoken to people who've had to use ODBC,
ODBC sounds pretty horrific.

> >   * it would be easy to write a Java 1.2 GDBC -> JDBC bridge, and hence use
> >     the JDBC -> ODBC bridge.
> >   * virtually all significant database vendors have written JDBC drivers.
> >   * if we base our API on JDBC, then it would be easy for database vendors to
> >     rewrite their JDBC drivers for our GNOME standard.
>
> Is JDBC a wire protocol or a Java database API?

API.

> Provide URL's, and I will read :)

http://www.javasoft.com/products/jdbc/

Ian

--
Ian McKellar           imckellar@harvestroad.com.au
Web Author / Programmer      Phone: +61 8 9389 6200

Tell me do you really know your brother man
Cause a heart speaks louder than a colour can
And why would you even shake a man's hand
If you're not going to help him stand
                            -- Ben Harper (Jah Work)

PGP signature