Re: [gtk-list] Re: list and clist

> > I'm not HAVING a problem with list and clist I HAVE a problem with
> > list and clist.
> >
> > In GTK_SELECTION_MULTIPLE mode clicking and dragging in the list/clist *doesn't*
> > select the items that you drag over.
> >
> > In GTK_SELECTION_BROWSE mode clicking and dragging *doesn't* cause
> > the selection to move with the mouse.
> >
> > i don't know if you guys consider this to be a bug, but i sure do.
> > all widget sets work the other way.
>
> It probably _is_ a a bug. I'm pleased you think that GTK is so bug
> free that you need to use CAPITAL letters to point them out.

Or, it maybe that i bring attention to this bug, so when someone
starts thinking about what bug they should fix next they will tackle this
one:

---Someome bitched already out this bug.  maybe it needs too be fixed soon.---

That is what im hoping for.

> > In addition:  clist in MULTIPLE mode needs to take shift/ctrl click
> > modifiers for it to be even halfway useful.
> >
> > My opinion on list and clist:  They are totally worthless for anything
> > remotly sophisticated.
>
> Hmmm. I consider things like the File Selector and Balsa, etc,
> to be at least remotely sophisticated.

I'm trying to make a ftp client that works atleast as good as ws_ftp.
With the afore mentioned widgets it can't be done.

> > I guess i would be happy with a 100 line hack, if you or i knew one.
>
> Well, the patch below which fixes List _and_ Combo. (It makes
> Combo act like a menu) is about 450 lines. But there probably
> aren't more than 100 actual lines of code in there. And most
> of that is for Combo.

Shouldn't these things go into the next release?  Sorry, i want to
use standard widgets that i won't have to maintain myself with each new
release.

> One thing that is still missing is autoscrolling when you drag off the
> ends of the list. Most of the code to do that is in gtktext.c, if
> someone is interested in adding it.
>
> > Flames are welcome:  I think list and clist suck!
>
> In free software development, the most useful thing when flaming about
> bugs is a mirror - it will tell you who you are flaming. If you want a
> fixed set of features handed to you on a platter, then there is a
> company in Redmond, who'll sell you something.

I try to write apps.  I think the people who write apps should tell
the people who write toolkits what they think.  The least i can do
is let the toolkit developers know that i think parts of there toolkit
sucks.  So, instead of me flowndering around trying to unfuck the
toolkit i can write apps, and the people who are good at fixing these kind of
things can do that.

> Presumably, there reason you are using an Open Source toolkit like
> GTK is because you like the potential to fix things yourself.
> So, when you ask why a bug is there. Well, it's because you haven't
> fixed it yet.
>
> > matt wimer
> >
> > the drop down entry widget is as messed up as the others.
>
> Probably more so. But Combo widgets are often messed up.
> (Try out the one in Netscape). With the patch below,
> GTK's combo widget is no longer messed up. (Especially
> if someone adds autoscrolling)
>
> Regards,
>                                         Owen

--matt wimer
another soon to be satisfied customer :)

I deserve a cookie for not using CAPITALS