Re: Managed, shaped windows?

Brett Kosinski <brettk@compusmart.ab.ca> writes:

> I was wondering, is it possible to have a shaped window managed by the
> window manager?  I get the impression this is possible, as in testgtk
> there is a comment indicating it's possible to have a titlebar on the
> shape icons (in the shape test).  Is this possible or is the comment
> inaccurate?
>
> The reason I ask is my player program (Gmp3) uses shaped windows to allow
> for it's themes.  However, AFAIK, it's not possible to have a shaped
> window managed by the window manager.  Thanks in advance for any help!

It certainly is possible to have shaped, managed windows. Try running
X-eyes. Your window manager may have options about how to decorate
shaped windows - since the default decorations don't look very good on
a shaped window - but they will definitely be managed by default.

[ A managed, undecorated window behaves quite differently from
  an unmanaged window with respect to things like virtual
  desktops ]

In GTK, whether a window is managed or not is dependent on the
choice of GTK_WINDOW_TEMP or GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL when creating

Regards,
                                        Owen