Re: [gtk-list] Re: Garbage Collection and other things (belated)

"Daniel Solaz" <dsolaz@sistelcom.com> writes:

> Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> >Integrating the Boehm GC in GTK is definitely something worth
> >considering (at the very least),

> If GTK gets a real garbage collector, that is good. But I don't believe
> a garbage collector should be part of a graphics library that pretends
> to be small and portable.

So do you think GC'ing would GTK be good or not ? :-)

In my enthusiasm, I hadn't thought of bindings to GC'ed languages
indeed. Could it be possible to seperate all current "cleanup" code
(ie ref counting) from GTK so as to replace it with a "abstract
cleanup code", which would actually depend on the language you're
using GTK with ? If the language is GC'ed, then use this, otherwise
use Boehm's (ie you'd have to link with an extra '-lgc')

I haven't got the slightest idea if this is even at all feasible :-).

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.worldnet.fr/~glaurent