Re: [gtk-list] GTK+ and non-Unix OS

On Thu, Apr 16, 1998 at 03:41:47PM -0700, fractture wrote:
> Currently that is only Unix and X systems right?
> Has anyone thought about porting one of these cool toolkits to other systems
> so that our software can be used by the rest of the non-saved world?
> I would like my apps to be useable, or at least compileable on other OS/GUI
> systems, and I think Gtk is a good candidate....it is a very nice lib-set.

Yes, I have been thinking about porting GTK+ to Win32 and BeOS.  I
haven't had much time to work on it though.  (I do have GLIB.DLL on my
Windows drive.  But that's the trivial part.  :) As I have said before
on this list, I think the path of least resistance would be to port
GDK to use the native windowing system's drawing routines, but leave
GTK mostly untouched.  GTK+ apps wouldn't have the native look and
feel of the OS, but ports of GTK+ apps would be much less painful.

Matt Kimball
mkimball@xmission.com