Re: Small bug in configure script?

Jim Harmon <jharmon@telecnnct.com> writes:

> For the lsat (3) releases of GTK (and GIMP) that I've downloaded, the
> configure scripts completely ignore the "--enable-debug=NO" modifier.
>
> I've had to manually delete every occurance of the "-g" Flag from the
> configure and configure.in files to be able to compile without the debug
> flag set.

First, if you are saying --enable-debug=NO, it will be completely
ignored. That should be --enable-debug=no (note case), or more simply
--disable-debug.

But that will not suppress the -g flags. The maintainers of autoconf
apparently have a stake in hard drive manufacturers, so the effect
(on CFLAGS) will simply be to add the -O2 flag.

Try:

  CFLAGS=-O2 ./configure --disable-debug

But really, I don't recommend --disable-debug. It makes things
a fair bit faster, but until GTK and all GTK apps are bug
free, --enable-debug=minimum, the default, is probably a better
choice:

  CFLAGS=-O2 ./configure

(And if you are developing GTK applications, you will do yourself
 a huge favor by compiling with --enable-debug/--enable-debug=yes,
 which adds a lot of checks that cause your bugs to be caught
 immediately, instead of having GTK segfault in some obscure place)

Regards,
                                        Owen