Small bug in configure script?

For the lsat (3) releases of GTK (and GIMP) that I've downloaded, the
configure scripts completely ignore the "--enable-debug=NO" modifier.

I've had to manually delete every occurance of the "-g" Flag from the
configure and configure.in files to be able to compile without the debug
flag set.

I'm compiling on Solaris 2.6, GCC 2.7.2.3, no "AutoConfigure", on a Sun
SPARCStation5.

All the versions of GTK are

	GTK 0.99.5, GTK 0.99.8, and now GTK 0.99.9.

	GIMP versions 0.99.18, 0.99.19, 0.99.22, and 0.99.23.

I'd offer suggestions on how to fix this, but I'm not very literate in
the inner workings of CONFIGURE or MAKE.  I just clip where it seems to
make sense to make it work.

Thanks, and I appreciate any suggestions on making the commandline
modifier work correctly, without hacking half the code.  :)

--
   Jim Harmon                           The Telephone Connection
jim@telecnnct.com                          Rockville, Maryland