Re: [gtk-list] Re: Pixmaps in gtk

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Joel Dillon wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
>

> > Joel Dillon writes:
> > >Perhaps it would be a nice idea to write the GTK to
> > >use pixmaps, or at least allow the option of using them?
> >
> > I'm sorry, but I haven't the foggiest idea what you mean by saying that
> > GTK doesn't allow the option of using pixmaps?  I use them in the GTK
> > program I'm working on now to good effect.
>
>   What I'm getting at here is that while you can have a specific button
> us a pixmap in an app, you van't have all radiobuttons, say, use your
> user-defined pixmap (preferably specified in something like a .Xdefaults
> file )

Ahem.. you can specify any pixmap you choose for any widget or part of a
widget in your gtkrc file.  Read:

http://www.levien.com/~slow/gtk/tutorial/gtk_tut-19.html

(The bottom half describes the format of the rc file.)

And here's a shot of some buttons with tiled pixmaps:

http://www.levien.com/~slow/gtk/cool/pixmaped_buttons.gif

However, pixmaps are too slow for my poor little machine so I don't use
them on a regular basis. I'm also waiting for someone to come up with a
few good gtkrc files for "themes" I can borrow :)

Regards,

Ian

--

"Simplicity is achieved by the elimination of special cases, such as the
discrimination between devices and files."

   - Brian Kernighan and John Mashey.