Re: [gtk-list] gtk_container_border_width

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, David Abilleira wrote:

> I'm new to gtk (and to X programing too) and have a question about the
> function gtk_container_border_width.
>         The GTK tutorial from Ian says:
>
> ----- Cut ----
> This next function is used to set an attribute of a container object.
> This just sets the window so it has a blank area
> along the inside of it 10 pixels wide where no widgets will go. There
> are other similar functions which we will
> look at in the section on Setting Widget Attributes
>
> And again, GTK_CONTAINER is a macro to perform type casting.
>
>          gtk_container_border_width (GTK_CONTAINER (window), 10);
> ----- Cut ----

Hmm.. I'll have to fix that, it's not even good english.. Thanks for
pointing that out.

>         But when I try it, space is left out around the object, and not
> inside.

Yeah, if you call it on a window it sets a border along the inside of it,
on other objects, it creates a border along the outide.

>         Do I must call gtk_container_border_width for every object in a
> container, or make a box and place the object inside it?

No, it's an optional call to set an attribute.  It's certainly not
necessary.

Regards,

Ian