Re: [gtk-list] Re: GtkStyle

Arun Sharma wrote:
> Since this issue keeps coming up, let me repeat what I've said a
> couple of times before on this list. Why not just stick with the X11
> resource database mechanism and specify the widget resources using
> $HOME/.Xdefaults ?
>
> To me, it's a well understood mechanism, network transparent and can
> as easily be changed as any other file format, as simple and as
> powerful as any other format. Why do we want to litter $HOME with more
> .<put your favorite app here>rcs ?

  I'm not a resource expert, but I guess this issue is just a matter
of taste.
  After all, the 'gtkrc' mechanism is in place and working. I don't
think it's really necessary to throw it out.

> The immediate solution would be to write a gtkrc parser equivalent,
> that fetches the appropriate resources from the X display and does
> the equivalent thing.

  Well, this could be an optional feature. When GTK startups it would
read the resources from X and then read the 'gtkrc' file, if any. The
last configurations could override the first ones.
  I guess no one will be upset if a patch for this feature comes up in
the list. =)

  Regards,
    Marcelo