Re: [gtk-list] Re: GtkStyle

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997 12:59:58 +0100, Patrice Fortier wrote:

	>> I agree, meaning that I don't think it's a good idea to
	>> change the _default_ appearance of gtk. However, I guess
	>> some effort could be put in enhancing the GtkStyle/gtkrc
	>> mechanism, so the look of the widgets could be changed
	>> outside the application, using something like loadable
	>> modules. Then Patrice's patches could be in an optional
	>> module.

Since this issue keeps coming up, let me repeat what I've said a
couple of times before on this list. Why not just stick with the X11
resource database mechanism and specify the widget resources using
$HOME/.Xdefaults ?

To me, it's a well understood mechanism, network transparent and can
as easily be changed as any other file format, as simple and as
powerful as any other format. Why do we want to litter $HOME with more
.<put your favorite app here>rcs ?

The immediate solution would be to write a gtkrc parser equivalent,
that fetches the appropriate resources from the X display and does
the equivalent thing.

	-Arun