Re: [gtk-list] Re: GtkStyle

Patrice Fortier wrote:
>   I looked just a little at the GtkStyle code and it seems that it's
> more like a "tool box" than any other thing. It contains only low
> level drawing functions (like draw_shadow, draw_diamond...). I still
> don't see GtkStyle as THE solution for what we want (although it will
> certainly help).

  I think an good idea (said some time ago in this list) is to place
all the gtk*paint routines under control of the GtkStyle stuff, in a
array of function pointers. Then you'll need to create new
gtk_default_* functions for every widget, with the default look.
  However, I don't know how much work would be needed in this move.

>   I thought of modules too but I found another problem here. You need
> to have one module for each look&feel and for each widget... It could
> make a lot of combinations.

  You could pack all the drawing functions for a given look into a
single module. So I can switch from the "Motif" module to the
"NextStep" one and that affects all widgets.

>   I also want to say that think that the look&feel should not be changed
> on a per application basis (but I may be wrong). The l&f should be
> consistent for all applications.

  I agree. Maybe in a per-user basis, like the local 'gtkrc'
configuration. So when the library starts it checks this file and
loads the selected module. If something goes wrong, it simply uses the
standard hardcoded style.

> Discussing on this and bringing ideas is just fine if you find time to
> think about the problem(s).

  Yeah, sure!

    Marcelo