Re: [gtk-list] ANNOUNCE: python-gtk version 0.1

Hi,

I've been working on a non-swig version of Python bindings for Gtk
sometime now. I have about 5-6 of the widgets supported already.

I did consider SWIG for sometime, but chose to go with direct "C"
approach. Though I can't remember all the reasons, here are some:

(a) The interface that SWIG generates is procedural and not object
    oriented.

(b) Variable number of arguments are not supported

(c) Both (a) and (b) can be gotten around by putting a Python wrapper
    around the SWIG interface, but at the loss of some performance ?

But SWIG has it's advantages too, in that one can rapidly generate a
Python interface to a C library. I'll make my stuff available later in
the day and hopefully we can work together towards the best Python
interface to Gtk.

As far as the name space issues are concerned, I've followed an
interface very similar to yours.

	-Arun