ANNOUNCE: python-gtk version 0.1

python-gtk version 0.1
======================

These are Python bindings for GTK.  You need SWIG to regenerate
the wrapper code.  "gtk.py" is a Python module wrapping the
"_gtk" module.  Things are pretty crude right now.  I just wanted
to release something early and hopefully I will get some
feedback.  I am not an expert on GTK, SWIG, or on extending
Python.  I would greatly appreciate any help.

I think the design of the classes wrapping the interface (gtk.py)
is very important.  My approach seems to be working so far, but I
am not sure about larger applications (subclassing widgets, etc).
Hopefully someone with experience with this type of thing will
help out.  This is one of the things I don't like about Tkinter.

I am sure there are many bugs to be found in this code.  I
haven't even tested all the Python wrapper classes to see if they
work.  I have my doubts about releasing something this early, but
I am going to try following the Bazaar Method of software
developement.[*]

Working Stuff (I think :)
=========================

	signal_connect (callbacks)
	widget (mostly)
	container
	window
	label
	entry
	button
	table
	box, hbox, vbox
	bin
	frame
	fileselect
	notebook

A Small Example
===============

import gtk
def hello():
	print 'hello world'

w = gtk.Window()
b = gtk.Button(label='Hello')
b.connect('clicked', hello)
w.add(b)
b.show()
w.show()
gtk.main()

Future Work
===========

	complete interface
	debug
	verify reference counting (prevent memory leaks)
	reduce size of library?
	document Python module

Where to Get It

	http://www.ucalgary.ca/~nascheme/python-gtk/