Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK text widget (was Re: Proposal for a new project)

On Tue, May 13, 1997 at 03:33:09PM -0500, Shawn T Amundson wrote:
> Words Of Otto Hammersmith:
> >
> >I've done some thinking... I wonder if it'd be useful to have two text
> >widgets.  One exteremely simple one with just plain text, and a second
> >for intense things that would allow embedding widgets and such.  I
> >suspect the former would be useful for small apps that don't need the
> >power of the later.
>
> I was thinking this too.  But if the complex text widget, when used only
> with text, is no larger than the extremely simple one, then what's the
> point?  Would it take so much extra room in the struct to have the
> embedding done?

Very true, if it doesn't save any memory or resources, there's no
reason for it... but I suspect it will turn out to be otherwise.

> >One comment, though... it should be a "rich text" widget, not and
> >"HTML widget".  I don't think HTML parsing code really belongs in the
> >widget proper.  I see something along the lines of the relationship
> >between gtk_rc_parse stuff and GtkStyle objects.
>
> I don't really want to have to submit any layout language when
> working with the widget.  Except perhaps the normal packing code,
> or how you control such things in TK.  Widgets should take up the
> same space as a character and act accordingly.  You should be able
> to insert by knowing the row and column of the text, or delete, etc.
>
> Then a harder question:  What about doing tags like in TK?  Perhaps
> an easy way to do links in widgets based off the text widgets, like
> the HTML widget.

I think I'm being misunderstood.  I didn't mean "rich text" as in
RTF... I just meant a widget capable of displaying that kind of text.

As for commenting on how Tk does things... I'm not familiar with Tk,
so someone will have to fill me in a bit. :)

--
					-Otto.