Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK text widget (was Re: Proposal for a new project)

Words Of Otto Hammersmith:

>I've done some thinking... I wonder if it'd be useful to have two text
>widgets.  One exteremely simple one with just plain text, and a second
>for intense things that would allow embedding widgets and such.  I
>suspect the former would be useful for small apps that don't need the
>power of the later.

I was thinking this too.  But if the complex text widget, when used only
with text, is no larger than the extremely simple one, then what's the
point?  Would it take so much extra room in the struct to have the
embedding done?

>One comment, though... it should be a "rich text" widget, not and
>"HTML widget".  I don't think HTML parsing code really belongs in the
>widget proper.  I see something along the lines of the relationship
>between gtk_rc_parse stuff and GtkStyle objects.

I don't really want to have to submit any layout language when
working with the widget.  Except perhaps the normal packing code,
or how you control such things in TK.  Widgets should take up the
same space as a character and act accordingly.  You should be able
to insert by knowing the row and column of the text, or delete, etc.

Then a harder question:  What about doing tags like in TK?  Perhaps
an easy way to do links in widgets based off the text widgets, like
the HTML widget.

--
Shawn T. Amundson		University of Minnesota
Systems Administration	 	Computer Science System Staff

"My daydream screams bitter 'til the end" -- Smashing Pumpkins