Re: Proposal for a new project

Espen S Johnsen wrote:

> Recently there has been a lot of discussion about KDE/Qt and the GPL
> on comp.os.linux.development.apps.  I won't say anything about that,
> but there is two reasons why I would never use or contribute to KDE:
> it is C++ only and uses a proprietary GUI toolkit (Qt).
>
> Now that a very nice free GUI toolkit exists (you know which), I think
> the time is right for a new project: The General Desktop Environment,
> GDE for short.  Of course we should try to reuse as much code as
> possible from existing programs, and maybe from KDE.  I have also read
> some rumours about Red Hat rewriting their tools to use GTK.  If this
> is true, we could try to convince them to support GDE.  In any case, I
> know a lot of cool programs will be written with GTK as the toolkit.

Before such big projects are started it is much more important to
complete the amount of widgets GTK provides! It is absolutely useless to
start a filesystem browser for example without a treeview. There are
also other things missing: a Table like a combinition of the Windows
Grid and Listview. Perhaps animations and a icon listview. Another
important part is imho a terminal window at least a read only one.

-- bis später...
 - Sascha         ---<~>=( http://www.ping.de/sites/aibon/ )=<~>---

   () Free speech online
   /\ http://www.eff.org/BlueRibbon/bluehtml.html