Re: [gtk-list] Re: Frame around the pixmap in button and color

On Tue, May 13, 1997 at 08:54:57AM -0500, Federico Mena wrote:
> >  Yes. I found this notation in one of the xpm files that came with
> >  bmpbrowser which I installed a few hours ago. But that does the job
> >  only half. The background of the xpm is as gray as the button but
> >  when you place the mouse over the button the parts which should be
> >  transparent do not become bright, but stay in the normal gray.
> There's a very good example of how to use pixmaps in buttons in
> gtk/testgtk.c.  Look at the create_pixmap() function; the relevant
> part is around line 540.  You have to create separate GdkPixmaps for
> each of the possible states of the button, and later you squish them
> together into a pixmap widget.
>   Quartic

You're right, but there is still yet another problem with transparent

If the underlying background is another pixmap, things are not handled
properly.  Maybe I'm just not sure how to make it work properly, but I
don't see how.  (I even tried using gtk_widget_set_style to make sure
that the pixmap was getting the same style as the button, which does
have the proper pixmap background, but that didn't work)

Personally, I don't think it's much of a problem... I don't care for
pixmap backgrounds anyway, but I'm sure it will have ramifications on
gzilla and the gtk-based-rxvt-replacement-with-pixmap-backrounds. (you
know -someone- is going to do it, no matter how sickening it might be :)