Re: [gtk-list] New projects

On 25 Jun 1997, Camm Maguire wrote:

> Greetings!  I am totally new to X-Wiindow programming, but faily
> fluent in generic C.  I want to write a text indexing/searching
> program, and am considering GTK from the positive reports I've heard
> thus far and its GPL licensing.
>
> My question: I need some honest advice about whether the man hours
> required for me to get up to speed with GTK are justified given the
> sparse GTK documentation, the state of flux of the routines, and the
> alternate widget sets available.
>
> Can anyone share their thoughts with me here?

I just started using gtk about hmm.. 3 weeks ago, and can now write a
decent application with it.  There's certainly a lack of documentation,
but if you check out the testgtk.c and other examples, it doesn't take
long to figure it out. I find the API easy to grasp, and the header files
very useful too. The gtk source is well organized, so if you have an idea
of the function your after, its not too hard to find.

If your good at C, it shouldn't take too long at all to figure out.
You should be able to make simple applications in a few hours. :)

Hope that helps,

Ian