Re: [gtk-list] New projects

On Wed, Jun 25, 1997 at 08:45:03AM -0400, Camm Maguire wrote:
> Greetings!  I am totally new to X-Wiindow programming, but faily
> fluent in generic C.  I want to write a text indexing/searching
> program, and am considering GTK from the positive reports I've heard
> thus far and its GPL licensing.
>
> My question: I need some honest advice about whether the man hours
> required for me to get up to speed with GTK are justified given the
> sparse GTK documentation, the state of flux of the routines, and the
> alternate widget sets available.
>
> Can anyone share their thoughts with me here?
>
> Keep up the good work on this project!

The time involved isn't really any more than you'd spend getting going
with most X toolkits, despite the lack of documentation.  I'd say Qt
is the only one that's comparable, but that's C++ so if you know C
gtk+ is the way to go. (I think it took me about two weeks to get
going with gtk+... longer to start writing new widgets, which I
haven't quite mastered just yet)

Not to mention the amount of money you'd end up spending on books to
lear something like Motif.  Very scarry thought. :)

Good luck.

--
					-Otto.