Rendering a custom glyph using pango

How can I control from C code the display of a random glyph that I have created and added to a ttf font file with a unicode value that is in the private user area? Say I have assigned the value 22222 and need to display the corresponding glyph. Can I also map a totally random code and get it to work?

How does this work? Which code does the control go through?

On a related note, what if I want to display the same glyph in gtk text area or on a gtk label? How would I do that? I am able to do it for regular unicode values by setting the font but noticed that it does not work when I add the glyph to the private range and try to add the code from the private range to the buffer.

Thanks,
-Ferdinand