rotated chinese text

I'm trying to reproduce something like the text shown on Behdad's blog here:

http://mces.blogspot.com/2007/05/advanced-opentype-features-in-pango.html

The last picture. But... I can't seem to get it work. I tried rotating the cairo context by 90, and setting the pango context gravity to east. I'm wondering if I need to use the APIs that get the cr to create the layout, rather than the current way of getting the font map and creating from that?
--
Travis Griggs
Objologist