embedding arbitrary graphics in text

I'm fleshing out a Smalltalk binding to Pango, and want to be able to show breakpoint graphics embedded at arbitrary points in the text.

I found the pange_attr_shape_new() function, but I don't know if that's what I want at all.

ATM, what would seem cool, is a way of having an Attribute that says "when I draw these items, run this callback with position information, so I can do some custom drawing at this point." But maybe that's the wrong way to think about getting the job done.

Help and pointers and hints appreciated! TIA

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist