Re: How to deprecate PangoScript?

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 09:38 -0400, Torsten Schoenfeld wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 15:48 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> >   4. Like 3, but also go ahead and change PangoScript uses to
> > GUnicodeScript in public Pango API (and internally too).  This doesn't
> > have the C++ problem because PangoScript and GUnicodeScript will be the
> > same thing as far as the compiler is concerned.  The gobject type name
> > for PangoScript changes though as we should make pango_script_get_type()
> > to just return g_unicode_script_get_type().  Right?
>
> As far as I can tell, option four won't cause insurmountable problems
> for language bindings.  And given that it appears to be a clean solution
> from a C point of view, I think it's the winner.
>
> I take it that pango_script_iter_* won't be changed apart from
> pango_script_iter_get_range for which PangoScript is replaced by
> GUnicodeScript?

Thanks for the comments.  After discussing the options with Owen, and
given the fact that the enum is not expected to change much in the
future, we decided to take the least-risky path of just documenting the
equivalence and not changing the API at all.  In the end, PangoScript is
rarely used outside of Pango, and GUnicodeScript is only interesting
when not using Pango, so the whole thing should be a big issue for
anyone.

I'll release 1.18.0 soonish.

--
behdad